this summer, i finally took the neo-luddite’s leap and got myself an iphone. given its cost, and its potential fragility, i quickly decided it needed to be enveloped in something protective. i didn’t want anything plastic or mass-produced (IDS strikes again), so i crocheted up a wee apple green cosy for it, complete with a handy drawstring at the top to cinch as desired. it did look very fetching on my white phone. simple, practical, acceptable. but kind of boring. so i set to work on a one-of-a-kind iphone sleeve, and this is what i came up with.
i’ve since refined my pattern and have managed to apply it to ipads, tablets and e-readers (and i must say that i’m really quite pleased with the results!). i know – they don’t look terribly complicated, and, admittedly, they are not. my great sense of accomplishment comes from the fact that i made them from scratch without a pattern or any form of guidance. it took some number-crunching mathematics (not my forte), a few
major gaffes teachable moments and several frustrating prototypes before i came up with my very own original pattern. hurrah!
my goal was to chicly protect my phone from offending items such as keys and assorted handbag flotsam while tumbling about my bag. i padded it with some fusible fleece for protection and added a tab-closure which uses a snap, allowing one-handed operation (and it’s much less fiddly than a button and button-hole). i’ve had a little fun with the fabric, experimenting with patchwork and adding an unexpected lining here and there. i’m in the process of writing up a pattern/tutorial for it, which is proving much more difficult than i first, naively, expected…so check back if you’re interested in making one for yourself (it will, of course, be free for fellow stitchers).